IDF® Chicken Fat is blended with roasted garlic, basil pesto and Parmesan reggiano; chilled – creating a luscious chicken schmaltz.
Yield: 4# (rounded)
- 3# – IDF® Chicken Fat
- 8.0 oz. – garlic, fresh, peeled cloves, no stems
- 8.0 oz. – pesto (basil), prepared
- 2.0 oz. – cheese, Parmesan Reggiano, fine shred (small chopped)
- Place 6 oz. of the IDF® Chicken Fat in a small saucepot and heat over low-medium heat. Add garlic cloves and simmer until lightly caramelized & roasted/soft, approximately 10-15 minutes. Remove garlic cloves from hot chicken fat and smash/chop the cooked cloves into a paste. Reserve both the roasted garlic paste & the garlic chicken fat oil.
- Place the reserved roasted garlic paste & garlic chicken fat oil, the remaining IDF® Chicken Fat, the pesto and parmesan cheese in a mixing bowl and whisk to evenly combine the ingredients.
- Place into sealed storage container and refrigerate.
- Label/date! (CCP)
- Reserve cold. (CCP 35-38°F)
Chicken Schmaltz Applications
Finishing touch in:
- Sauces, pesto, tapenade, mushroom duxelle
- Vegetables, sauté
- Chicken wings (toss with)
- Baked potatoes
Creamy, satiating ingredient (substitute for mayo) in:
- Egg salad
- Chicken salad
- Deviled eggs
- Salad dressing
- Underneath chicken skin, before searing (for moisture & flavor)